Sunday, June 24, 2018

How Do I Pass Through the Cell Membrane?

In my previous post, I mentioned that I pass through the cell membrane by the process of diffusion. You might be wondering what that is so I am going to explain exactly how oxygen molecules such as myself pass through the cell membrane.When I am entering an animal cell, I am in the form of an oxygen molecule so I go through a process called diffusion. Diffusion is a type of passive transport which means that no energy is expended. In order for me to get into a cell through the process of diffusion, there have to be more oxygen molecules outside the cell than inside.If this is true then I simply pass through the membrane. Unlike with some other molecules, I am non polar which allows me to pass through the membrane. When I enter a plant cell, I am in the form of a water molecule so I go through a process called Osmosis. This process is very similar to diffusion but it is only for water molecules.

No comments:

Post a Comment